8.23.2007

curiouser and curiouser...

I checked out Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass from the library a few days ago, and I've been reading a chapter or two a night... for some reason I feel it kind of parallels my experience here. I kind of feel like I'm living "The Real World: Costa Rica" + a summer camp + well, a parallel universe.

There isn't a day that goes by that doesn't surprise me, and I still haven't gotten used to going out to clubs and seeing students (as young as 14 or 15!) there. Thursday night's adventure was to reggae night at a club called "Babylon," which had a pretty big crowd and a good mix of both locals and gringo tourists. To say the least, it is more what I imagined when I thought of Costa Rica: chill reggae music, a soft breeze under a palm tree-surrounded veranda, lots of tan people, lots of people partaking in cerain illegal substances in flagrante delicto (not the least of whom were students at the high school. Oy.). Friday night involved some after-school teacher fun and an early bedtime, and Saturday was very similar to Thursday, except that Babylon was our third stop, and that it was Ladies Night instead of Reggae night. I get the feeling that I'm going to grow tired of going out in Tamarindo pretty quickly...

During the day Saturday, I ventured at last to Liberia, the capital of the Guanacaste province and the second-largest city in all of Costa Rica.



Liberia was... well, urban. I tend to prefer Tamarindo, also on the map above, and only about a 25-30 minute drive as opposed to the hour-long trek to Liberia. However, I did make some wonderful, much-needed purchases in Liberia, such as a brand new lovely blanket, a hair dryer (at last!), and a tablecloth that greatly improves the ambiance in my kitchen. On the way home we had an experience that was, for lack of a better term, very "Costa Rica." Jon, the student dorm manager, took us down a side road on the outskirts of Liberia where there was a river between two cliffs. And thus, four in our party decided to go cliff-diving. Now, if you know me, you know I am a pretty rational person who occasionally has a flair for adventure. But you could not pay me a large enough sum of money to hurl myself off a piece of rock into a river-- even if the river IS about 15-20 feet deep. (None of the people who jumped felt the bottom when they landed). I suppose it's one of those experience that will "make you feel alive", but seeing as how I've enjoyed my 22 years of life and plan on many more, I'll stick to the sidelines, thanks.


However, one awesomely cool thing was that high on the rock face on the other side of the river were petroglyphs (!!). Think of the cave paintings in Lascaux, France-- only much more Mayan-looking:




Below the moss, on the right, you can see where someone carved into the rock many, many years ago. It reminded me a lot of the carvings on the buildings at Chichen Itza (I know that's missing an accent somewhere). Anyway, that was maybe the coolest part of the whole experience for me. :) However, if you so desire, you can see the four daredevils (with commentary from myself and the other awed/terrified/amused spectators) below:



No hay comentarios: