11.02.2007

Gratitude, a few weeks early

First off, I want to say thank you to everyone who wished me well after my most recent post... I was certainly not feeling my best, and your comments and e-mails really brightened my week. :)

That being said, I've been feeling much better lately about life in Costa Rica. The library is just about done with its move to the new space, and I could not be happier about work. I am finally forging what I feel are great friendships here, and recently I have felt more and more just how lucky I have been in my life. Lots of warm fuzzies, to say the least.

My whole life, I have been blessed with the best parents imaginable. Supportive, loving, funny, brilliant... basically, there aren't enough words in the English language (or French, or Spanish) to describe how incredible my Mom and Dad are. If you've met them, you know this is the case. If not, well, hopefully someday you will have the opportunity. :) The more life experiences I have, the more I marvel at how absolutely selfless and amazing they have been, and the more I strive to emulate them in all that I do. To say the least, my parents are my heroes.

Okay, minorly sappy moment over. Other than my fantastic parents, life is great. Halloween was this past Wednesday, and included an amazing trick-or-treat Halloween party at school, full of kids ages 5-12 running amok in costumes ranging from adorable to scary. Later in the night, I chose to go out with several of my girlfriends, and I was pleased when two of our good friends (a married couple) won the Tamarindo Halloween Party Costume Contest. Their costume? Wet t-shirt contest entrant and judge.... only Dustin (the 6'+, macho husband) played the role of contestant, and Kim (the 5', petite, demure wife) was the judge. Hilarious costumes, and they hammed it up, much to the delight of the packed bar Pasatiempo where the party took place. This was the first time I have been in a place other than work and felt almost overwhelmed by gringos-- but it wasn't a bad thing! Laura and I were delighted by the live band, who played hits like "Sympathy for the Devil" (!!!) and "Play That Funky Music, White Boy" -- that one was for you, Mom! Despite some ups and downs, it was a pretty good celebration of one of my favorite holidays. I'll post pictures from the students' darling costumes later this week.

Maybe it's because Thanksgiving is coming soon, but I have been feeling extremely thankful the past few days. For my parents, for my amazing friends, for all the great opportunities which I have had. Education, travel, love, friendship, and unique experiences-- just to name a few. I am such a lucky girl, and I really like when I step back and realize that fact. It's easy for all these great aspects of my life to fade when I'm feeling physically miserable (as in the last post), but a week of antibiotics and anti-histamines can do wonders. November is shaping up to be a pretty wonderful month, and I have so much for which to be thankful.

Peace be with you.

No hay comentarios: