9.18.2007

¡Felicidades Costa Rica!

This past weekend marked Costa Rica's Independence Day (September 15th). I realized that I have never witnessed such celebrations anywhere outside the United States in person. I suppose it comes with the territory; another really neat fact that accompanies actually living somewhere, rather than just studying there or vacationing for a few days, weeks, or months. We had a 2-hour celebration/assembly at the school in which all of the K-6 kids participated, performing poems in Spanish, skits, and dances. We also played host to some local students from both a musical group and a dance ensemble.

The musicians played an instrument unlike anything I have ever seen; similar to a xylophone, it was small, higher-pitched, and held in one arm and played with the other arm. The dance group was co-ed, full of darling girls in brilliantly-colored skirts, and shy boys dressed in all white with straw hats and red ties. These pictures are blurry, but you get the idea. First, the girls in their vibrant skirts:


Next, the boys in their white and red:

The dancing was interesting, though I wouldn't know what to call it... a mix of Latin American styles, reminescent of flamenco and an absolute pleasure to watch. I wish I had a proper video of it, but my camera battery was starting to die as they performed. You'll have to look at the pictures and imagine the small girl (probably age 5) who shouted "Ay! Yi! Yi!" as she and the others danced, which only enhanced the authenticity of the whole thing. Here in Costa Rica they also make these neat lanterns called faroles, which are usually made of paper or cellophane and have a little candle inside. Often the paper or cellophane is decorated with the Costa Rican flag or its colors (red, white, and blue). They have a desfile de faroles where people (often children) parade through town to celebrate Costa Rica's independence. All in all, I am really glad to have been able to witness all the ticos celebrating what is possibly the biggest holiday of the year, except for maybe Guanacaste Day-- which is only emphasized more here because, well, we live in Guanacaste.

Lastly, over the weekend I went SURFING for the first time since I arrived... and I am addicted. I am even thinking that I might eventually buy a surfboard. My body was exhausted the next day, but it is easily the most exhilarating full-body workout I have ever had! You have to use your arms, legs, and especially your abs and core-- and yet it is such a blast. I only made it to my feet once (after which I promptly fell over as I tried to look at my friends and shout), but I rode several waves in on my knees, trying to get used to the board. I want to start going as frequently as possible...

Who knows, maybe I'll even be the next Cody Maverick.*

*--Major props to those of you who know this is without having to look it up. :)

No hay comentarios: